19.4.09

Yummy.

Like Water for Chocolate

I really enjoyed reading, Like Water for Chocolate. I thought it was very creative how the author set the book up by recipes. I really liked how Tita's emotions were somehow molded into her cooking and everytime people ate her food the would react to those emotions.

Love, in this book, is much more "real" between Tita and Pedro. They have an emotional attachment to each other that they share with no one else. Even though they are forbidden to be together because of Mama Elena they still share a love for each other that they cannot find with anyone else. Love is also defined in this book as something that is forced by history. When Mama Elena forbids Tita to ever fall in love with anyone and instead marries Rosaura and Pedro together. She does this because of old views from their culture. The youngest daughter should never marry and instead take care of her mother.

I really wanted Tita and Pedro to work out from the very beginning. It was awful how Mama Elena treated Tita. She treated her as if she was her slave. Tita was suppose to be the daughter who took care of her mother for the rest of her life. If that was me, I would go against everything she would say. That is unfair for Tita to have to contribute all of her time and effort into someone else's life and never get to live her own the way that she wants to. If I were her sister, Rosaura, I would not want to marry someone that my sister loved and wanted to marry. I would feel awful if my sister or my friend did that to me.

I thought it was interesting how the book ended up. The ending was a bit weird. I liked that it wasn't a typical love story ending. I thought it was weird how they just basically burst into flames. The candle analogy was very beautiful. I have never heard that before but it was a different way to look at it.

All in all, this was a great book. I enjoyed every chapter of it and now I want to watch the movie. Hopefully it is as good as the book!

2 comments:

  1. The movie is pretty good I would check it out I bet they have it at the library. I enjoyed the book as well, although I agree the ending was a little odd. Mexican culture incorporates a lot of magic and the ending was interesting since it wasn't typical. I loved the reoccurring use of the candle it really described Tita and Pedro's love for one another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can not wait to see the movie either. It is definitely next on my "must see next" list!

    I also agree that the ending was a little odd, but it made me feel surprisingly relieved and happy. If you would have told me, after I had read only a couple of chapters, that Tita and Pedro were going to burst into flames at the end, I would have stopped reading it, thinking that it sounded depressing and absurd. In the "bursting into flames scene" they are actually united. "...they left together for the lost Eden. Never again would they be apart." This is more of a beginning than an end. Just think, according to the legend, they are still together today!

    ReplyDelete