30.4.09

La Perdida

I thought it was very interesting to read this book, La Perdida. I have never read a full comic book like this before and at times I found it difficult to follow some of the text. I liked the pictures because they helped put the text into a reality. I did not like when she used Spanish because it made it a little more confusing to read.

Most of the visuals are set up in order for the reader to read from left to right. Some of the boxes are larger than others and as I read on, I noticed that I needed to pay attention to that, so I would be reading in the correct order. At times, I found this to be difficult but once I got the hang of the visual representation that was being repeated made it much easier.

All in all, I thought it was a very interesting comic book. I thought the way that "women" were being represented in the culture of this book was also interesting. They treated women as if they were an object or possession of the men. "Keep your hands off my woman," was repeated much throughout the text. The female did not stand up for herself very often and the men really would not let her. I'm not sure if that is just how it is in the Spanish culture because I know her brother kept mentioning that she should kick out her boyfriend and stand up for herself.

3 comments:

  1. "Keep your hands off my woman," was repeated much throughout the text. ... good observation. What do we all think is the significance of this and of Carla's relationships with men in the novel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that sometimes it was difficult to follow the text I am also not used to reading graphic novels. It is interesting to me how you mention the men being domineering over the women in Hispanic Culture. After reading the Anzaldua article did you get a better idea of the macho persona? Its interesting to me how they glorify the mother figure but also treat other women poorly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that Carla simply suffers from low self-esteem. The men in her life don't seem to help, other than her brother, of course. I think that Carla likes it when she is referred to as "my woman". The statement confirms that she is desired; she does not mind being someone's property as long as she is what she would consider "loved". She seems to be very influenced by whomever she is around at that time. Her life seems to be lacking true love, true friendships, and true meaning.
    I also agree that the novel was sometimes hard to read. There was a lot of ink on each page causing my eyes to wonder all over the place.

    ReplyDelete