11.5.09

100% Skim Milk

The book, Skim, left me with many questions unanswered. I wondered about what actually happened to Ms. Archer and what happens to Skim in the future. Does she actually find love? What is it? or Who is it? It makes me feel a little uneasy not knowing.

I really liked how the pictures were setup in this graphic novel. There were many full page pictures with very little to no wording on them that I liked. I felt that made it more of a graphic novel than La Perdida in a way because I was actually looking at and focusing more on the pictures to tell the story in the novel Skim rather than in La Perdida where I was just focusing on the language. The graphics in Skim were much easier to follow. Maybe because most of them were extra large compared to La Perdida where they were fairly small in size and hard to distinguish what was going on most of the time.

The character Skim was very interesting. She wanted to be a witch and practiced with her tarot cards. I think she was in that teenage stage in her life where she was trying to find herself and it was difficult for her to fit in with a specific crowd in school. Maybe being a "witch" made her feel more powerful and in control in her life. Relying on what some cards said was easier to relying on others? She seemed very confused with the relationship she had with Ms. Archer. I thought it was bizarre to see a female teacher "hook up" with a female student. We never see or hear about that! So it really shocked me. I wonder, did this really happen or did Skim just want it to happen? Was the kiss a symbol of how she felt for Ms. Archer? hm.. was anyone else surprised by this?

1 comment:

  1. I was also disappointed with the ending I felt that it left the story unresolved. I really like your thought about the tarot cards! She did rely on them a lot especially when she had no one else to talk to or confide in. It was strange the relationship Skim had with Ms. Archer I wish we knew more about their relationship, just as we were given more details their relationship abruptly ended.

    ReplyDelete