22.5.09

Written on the Body

VOICE #1:

Talking as a critic I believe that Written on the Body was a very confusing book and hard to interpret what the author was trying to convey most of the time. I was constantly trying to guess the gender throughout the entire book but every time I thought it was one gender something would make me think different. I really did not get into the book at all until towards the end when we find out that Louise has cancer. I think that is when it becomes more of a story. Up until that part I think the book is more like a bunch of quotes or poems thrown together rather than an explicit story being told. Overall I did not like this book much but there was one part that caught my attention though:

"When I say 'I will be true to you' I am drawing a quiet space beyond the reach of other desires. No-one can legislate love; it cannot be given orders or cajoled into service. Love belongs to itself, deaf to pleading and unmoved by violence. Love is not something you can negotiate. Love is the one thing stronger than desire and the only proper reason to resist temptation."

I think the author is trying to explain that when you love someone nothing else can get in the way. "Love is stronger than desires" means that you will never desire someone else if you actually love the person you are with.

VOICE #2:

Written on the body
Is full of words I do get.
Very confusing
Very twisting
&
weird.
First it is a guy
Than it is a girl
weird.
Neutral gender, I suppose?
No Louise?
That's sad.
=(
Okay, well I am not sure if I experimented correctly with 2 different voices, but I gave it a shot. The first voice was me just being a critic of the book and saying what I thought about it. The second one was basically just writing down whatever first popped into my mind, so I am not sure if that is exactly writing in another voice? It was fun though!

No comments:

Post a Comment